Guide to fix microsoft teams screen share not working on windows or Mac OS
Microsoft Teams users are facing another issue recently. Some of the users worldwide are not able to share their screen with the other user. This is bizarre and it looks like a glitch that only occurs with some users. For e.g. screen share might work with one user but might not work for other users within the same organization.
I have been able to share my screen with only some users.
Microsoft has not yet publicly acknowledged this issue yet, but hope this issue is resolved in the future builds of the Teams applications
Troubleshooting the Issue
This does not seem to be an issue with the version of Microsoft Teams a user is using. Regardless of the version number, I have had issues sharing the screen with a user on the exact same version of Microsoft teams as mine. Another user with the same version of mine, Screen sharing seems to work without any issues at all.
The next thing to check was the firewall restrictions that might be preventing the content to reach the other user. Nothing was found there, actually teams did not have any firewall policies applied to it. One weird thing I found, was that I had three “Teams.exe” applications on the application list in the firewall.
Lots of users on the “techcommunity” forums have claimed this to be an issue with the graphics driver or the resolution. This seems to be true to some extent.
When connecting a tablet to the docking station with a dual monitor setup, screen sharing would not work. But if disconnected from the docking station, the screen sharing worked without any issue.
Read more: Microsoft’s Techforum
I will also mention other workarounds that other users have claimed that worked for them. Below is what worked for me (most of the time).
Screen Sharing In A Group
Yes, if you share your screen in a group call or group chat it just might work. It has worked for me. The only thing you might want to try if this does not work straight away is to find someone that screen share has worked before and add them to the group with the other user that you would want to share your screen with. The practicality of this workaround might be very questionable, but at least it works :P.
- Open Microsoft Teams
- Open the chat window of the person that you are trying to share the screen with
- Click on the add people option and add another user – if this does not work try adding the user that screen sharing has worked before – Might not be practical though
- Click on the screen sharing button and share your “Desktop” or the window you are trying to share
- Keep your fingers crossed
Use Microsoft Teams Web Version
Okay, this is another workaround that I have found. If you use the web version of Microsoft Teams, you will be able to see the content from the other user in the screen share session.
The only thing to remember is that whoever is sharing the screen can use the app, but the user viewing the content on the screen share will have to log in to the Teams web version. But please make sure you exit the desktop app completely before logging in to the Teams web app.
- Click on the tiny arrow pointing upwards in the bottom right of the screen > Right click on Microsoft Teams icon > Quit
- Go to https://teams.microsoft.com/
- Login with your Microsoft Teams account
- Request the other person to start the screen share and see if this resolved the issue
Other workarounds that “might” work
Not all of these workarounds have been tested by me personally. So try them to see if they actually work for you.
- Change Resolution – Go to display settings and choose a lower resolution and see if that fixes your screen sharing issue
- Use one monitor – If you have dual monitors, try using only one. If you are a tablet/laptop user with a docking station, try using just the primary screen
- Disabled GPU hardware acceleration –Click on your profile on top right corner > Settings > General > Disable GPU hardware acceleration. Restart Microsoft Teams and check if this fixes your screen sharing issue
If you have other sugggestions to fix microsoft teams screen sharing, do leave a comment down below.