RSAT stands for remote server administration tool(RSAT). This set of tools allows system administrators to manage the active directory and all its components from their system without much hassle.
If you are not familiar, RSAT can only be installed on Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Professional edition. So, if you have any other versions installed on your computer, I would suggest that you image the computer with Windows 10 Enterprise or Professional edition.
This tutorial aims to install RSAT on Windows 10 1809 or later versions. If you are trying to install RSAT on earlier windows version, you will have to download RSAT tools from Microsoft’s website and install it manually.
I am using Powershell for the installation as all it takes is a single command to download and install RSAT. I will go through some of the issues that might arise while downloading RSAT too later, so if you received an error and cannot download RSAT on Windows 10, you can go to troubleshooting straight away.
RSAT Windows 10 Install: Using Powershell
Let’s fire up Powershell and get the RSAT installation started. Please make sure you start Powershell as an administrator.
Starting Powershell With Admin
- Go to start and type in ” Powershell.”
- Click on “Run as Administrator.”
- Enter your admin password/ account details.
Powershell will start with admin privileges.
[bibblio style=” bib–size-18 bib–wide bib–white-label bib–row-3 bib–font-trebuchet bib–author-show bib–title-only” query_string_params=”e30=” recommendation_type=”optimised”]
Installing RSAT in Powershell
Copy and paste the code provided below into the Powershell’s window.
A side note, the following command installs all the RSAT Windows 10 tools. If you are after a specific tool, I’ve mentioned specific Powershell commands for different RSAT Tools.
DISM.exe /Online /add-capability /CapabilityName:Rsat.GroupPolicy.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0
If everything goes well, you should see ” The operation completed successfully.” If you get some error message, let me know in the comments below or looks at some of the troubleshooting options mentioned below.
RSAT Windows 10 Powershell Commands
Below mentioned are all the tools and their respective Powershell commands to install them.
Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.FileServices.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.GroupPolicy.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.IPAM.Client.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.LLDP.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.NetworkController.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.NetworkLoadBalancing.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.BitLocker.Recovery.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.CertificateServices.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.DHCP.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.FailoverCluster.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.RemoteAccess.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.RemoteDesktop.Services.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.ServerManager.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.Shielded.VM.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.StorageMigrationService.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.StorageReplica.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.SystemInsights.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.VolumeActivation.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0 Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name Rsat.WSUS.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0
If you are not a Poweruser, you can install RSAT on Windows 10 from the “Add a feature” option that Microsoft has provided on all the Windows 10 1809 and later. Before this, you were required to download the latest version of the RSAT tools package from Microsoft and download.
Follow the below mentioned procedure to install RSAT from settings without using Powershell.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on APPS > Manage optional Features > Add a feature.
- You should see a list of all the RSAT tools available for your Windows.
- If you do not see any RSAT tools on the list (this does happen sometimes), you will have to install RSAT using Powershell or Command prompt.
Troubleshooting RSAT installation on Windows 10 1809
Now, let’s look at some of the most common errors that you might run into while proceeding with the installation.
Error Code 0x800f081f
This error code 0x800f081f particularly means that your system does not have.Net Framework installed on the computer. Go ahead and install the.Net Framework and try again, remember to restart the computer before you try again.
Error Code 0x800f0954
If your computer has WSUS installed, when you try to install RSAT, it will try to contact the WSUS to download the required files. In this case, the WSUS will have no idea about the RSAT installation files and gives you Error 0x800f0954.
To fix this issue, do the following.
- Start run and type in “gpedit.msc” and hit enter.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System.
- Now scroll and look for, ” Specify settings for optional component installation…….” and open it by double-clicking on it.
- You can see everything is disabled. Click on “enable” and don’t forget to check the option that says “Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
- Click apply, open the command prompt as an administrator.
- Type in ” gpupdate /force,” wait for it to complete.
- Run the same DISM command and see if you still get Error 0x800f0954.
- If you are still getting the error message, run another gpupdate and restart the computer and try again.
Error Code 0x80244022
The error 0x80244022 usually appears on client machines. All the client machines use WSUS to get all the recent updates. So while trying to install RSAT on these machines, one might run into this type of error.
To get rid of error code: 0x80244022 we will disable WSUS, restart the windows update services and then install RSAT packages.
- Start run and type in ” regedit.exe.” Make sure you run it as an admin as you will need to make changes to the registry files.
- Navigate to HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate/AU/
- Find the key “UseWUServer,” double click and change the value to 0.
- Close the regedit.
- Go to start and search for “services.” Now find “Windows Update.”
- Right click on it and restart.
- Start Command prompt and type in “gpupdate /force” and hit enter.
- Try installing RSAT again, and the error code 0x80244022 should now be resolved.
I have been able to get RSAT on Windows 10 using Powershell myself as it was not listed on add features.
Hope this article solves all your RSAT installation issues, and if you still have further queries, please leave a comment below, and we’ll try to resolve those issues for you.
[bibblio style=” bib–row-3 bib–hover bib–white-label bib–font-arial bib–size-18 bib–wide bib–author-show bib–recency-show” query_string_params=”e30=” recommendation_type=”optimised”]