Outlook is a great application for emails, meetings, and all of your corporate and personal use. It has lots of add-ins and a bunch of other applications that it can incorporate with. If outlook is not set as your default mail app, it might affect your workflow and create confusion for your users.
I have faced similar issues in the past. Especially when you deploy a new computer and your forget to set outlook as default mail client on windows 10, the users come back complaining that it always open in the windows 10 “Mail” app instead. This can and does create a lot of confusion, especially in a corporate environment as users are meant to use the Outlook app and not the windows 10 mail app or any other mail applications.
In this article, I guide you through how to set outlook as the default mail client Windows 10 and Mac OS too.
Setting Outlook as The Default Email Application On Windows 10
With the release of Windows 10, things have gotten a lot easier and simpler. Even though it is not the perfect operating system yet but it is up there with other big players.
Setting the default email app is very easy and straight forward on Windows 10
Using Default Apps On Windows 10
- Hit “Windows” key or click on “Type here to search” located at the bottom left corner
- Type “Default” and click on “Default apps”
- This opens the windows that show the default apps for lots of types of applications and files
- The first option should be Email
- Assuming it’s set to mail or another app, click on the icon for the app to change it
- Select “Outlook” from the list
That’s it. It is really that simple to set Outlook as your default email client on windows 10.
Is it still not working ? There’s one more thing you can do
Checking Settings In The Outlook App
- Open Outlook App
- Click on “File > Options”
- On the “General” tab, under “Startup option” make sure the “Make Outlook the default program for Email, Contacts, and Calendar is checked
- Close Outlook and restart it, it should be fixed now
That’s how you set outlook as the default mail app on windows 10. Now all the email links will go through outlook and not other mail application.