When it comes to screenshotting on a PC, there are millions of ways to do it. It all depends upon what you need to do and what are the uses of the pictures that you have screenshotted. In this article, I will go through different ways of screenshotting on a PC and help you decide on how to take a screenshot on a pc.
I have used multiple tools (Free and Paid) when it comes to taking a screenshot from PC. Not everyone’s needs are the same so this guide will be helpful for everyone with different needs whatsoever.
Before we begin, I would like to outline the article’s different parts which will make it easier for you to find the best way for you to take a screenshot on your PC.
Different ways on screenshotting on a pc
- Taking screenshots using default tools in Windows 10
- Using third party application to take screenshots
So, these are the main ways to take a screenshot on a PC. Now, let’s dive into a detailed guide on how you can use these tools and applications that suit your preferences.
1. Taking screenshots using default tools in Windows 10(Snip & Sketch)
Snip & Sketch is a windows 10 application built within Windows 10. It like its predecessor, “Snipping Tool”, does the exact same job but better.
Snipping Tool might be not available in the future updates but still is available and can be accessed by going to start and searching for “Snipping Tool”.
- You can also use a shortcut key to open up “Snip & Sketch” on any application or window. The main reason behind “Snip & Sketch” being built withing windows 10 itself is to provide users with the ability to easily take snapshots of anything on the screen without having to go to “Run” and open the “Snipping Tool”
- Hit “Windows” + “Shift” + “S” keys together on your keyboard, this opens up the “Snip & Sketch” workspace and your display dims slightly
- On the top of the screen, you see different types of screenshotting options
This option allows you to select the screen from a rectangular perspective
This option allows you to freely select anything on the screen
This option automatically selects the current window you hover over
This option takes a screenshot of the fullscreen
- Depending upon your needs, select an option and take the screenshot
- Windows will notify you that the screenshot has been saved to the clipboard
Now, what can you do from the screenshot that you just took?
- You can paste it in any document without having the need to save the image first
- Use it in an email that you are writing to provide more clarity
- It’s very useful to include screenshots in the facebook chat messages or any other messaging applications that you might use
- Alternatively, you can click on the notification and save the image for future use
Windows Snip Sketch is extremely useful and should be able to fulfill all of your needs for screenshotting on a PC. It’s free, very integrated within the windows, fast and reliable.
2. Using third party application software
There is a bunch of different applications available to take screenshots on a pc. I would assume that only an expert user or users that take a lot of screenshots on their PC would have to use a third-party application for screenshotting on a pc.
i) Snagit By Techsmith
The application that I currently use and have been using for quite a while is called “Snagit” by Techsmith.
I stumbled upon Snagit while I was looking for a good feature-packed application that could not only take screenshots but also provide a bunch of other features such as annotation, editing, etc.
I came across an article on labnol.org, I immediately know that this was the exact tool I was looking for. I downloaded and installed it and have never looked back.
How To Download and Install Snagit
- Go to Techsmith’s website and download a trial version of the Snagit
- Install Snagit on your computer as this a pretty straight forward installation
If you face any difficulties during the installation, leave a comment down below.
How To Take A Screenshot using Snagit
Snagit comes with its own Snagit editor. This is a very powerful tool that allows you to do a bunch of different things with your screenshots.
- Open Snagit and select image from the option on your left
- You can choose the selection, effects and other options from this window
- Once you have chosen the option you prefer, click on the big red button that reads “Capture”
- Once you have captured the screenshot, it will take you to the Snagit editor
- You can play around with a bunch of different option that you would like
- Once everything looks perfect, save your image and you are ready to use the screenshot wherever you would like
- I would recommend to set up a hotkey for the application that makes it very easy to capture screenshots like the “Snap & Sketch” application
PicPick has been recommended by me in the past blog posts on how to take screenshots on PC. Since then, PicPick has really come a long way. If you want an all-in-one tool for all your graphic designing needs, PicPick can be a great pick.
Some of the features that separate PicPick from other screenshotting applications are:
- Pixel Ruler can be used to measure the size of desktop objects and images
- Whiteboard lets you scribble anything and share it with other users
- The color picker lets you find out the color codes of the colors you might like on different websites or web portals
- Fixed position screenshots that take a screenshot of a are specified by you
How To Install PicPick
Installing PicPick is very easy
- Go to https://picpick.app/en/
- Click on “Download” button and the PicPick installer will be downloaded
- Open the downloaded installer file and it should install the PicPick application on your computer
Screenshotting on a PC had never been easier. I hope this article has provided you with enough information on how to screenshot on a PC.
Let discuss what apps you use in the comments below.
Tech it easy folks.