Facetime is a video chatting application from Apple, so it obvious that it’s only available to ios or mac users. This article is intended to help you get Facetime for PC. How to download facetime for PC, what is the application you’ll need, or even is it possible to download and install Facetime on your PC, that sort of stuff.
Facetime is now available for free (used to cost 99 cents) and it’s available for all Apple devices. So that basically means that your app is synchronized on all the devices that you own and will receive the same Facetime call on all the devices at the same time. Unless you turn the feature off, from the preferences.
Facetime supports High-quality video chatting if you have a high quality (720p) capable camera on your device.
Update 31 May 2020: We are using Mac OS Mojave for this tutorial now. This has better hardware support and has less reported issues from my readers.
Update 27/02/2015: Many users have been downloading an app called “ipadian” and I also see lots of blogs out there promoting this application. But this does not work, not for me at least and I have been using the Facetime from the emulator and is the best way I believe to get Facetime on windows pc
There are lots of articles that claim to demonstrate the ways that you can get Facetime for PC. Before you actually get started let’s make some things clear.
- There is no official Facetime app for PC.
- You’ll have to download files that are huge in size. (more than 4.5 -5GBs).
- You need to have a PC /Laptop with good hardware configurations to run facetime on your PC smoothly.
- You might also need an external USB webcam to be able to use a camera in a facetime session using this guide
Now, lets list down the softwares that you’ll need to download and install before you can use facetime on your PC.
Getting Things Ready:
- Vmware Workstation 15.1.0 https://bit.ly/2UfUa0v
- Mac OS Mojave Vmware Image. https://bit.ly/2AAqKTG
- Vmware Unlocker For Mac OS. https://bit.ly/2Xk9REr
- A PC with a sound configuration for smooth operation
Facetime For PC : Installing Apps
1.0 Downloading And Installing Vmware:
We are using VMware workstation player 15.1.0, please use the same version because using other versions might result in conflicts with the unlocker which is required for you to be able to install Mojave. Click Here.
After you have downloaded the application, installation process is pretty much simple. Just let me know if you come across any problem and we’ll help you with your issue.
2.0 Downloading Mac OS Mojave Vmware Image
Download the Vmware Mojave Image from the link: https://bit.ly/2AAqKTG [It’s a Mediafire link so the download should be pretty steady]
3.0 Unlocking Vmware to support Mac OS OS
Since you have downloaded and installed the required software and downloaded the Moac Os Mojave Vmware Image, you’ll have to unlock your Vmware workstation player.
What this basically does is, it allows you to install or use Mac os on the Vmware, which has solely been built to run and emulate windows or Linux/Unix environment as a Layered operating system within other Operating systems.
To unlock your VMware workstation player 15.1 do the following.
- Extract the unlocked that you downloaded earlier
- Find the “win-install.cmd” file
- Right-click on it and click on “Run as administrator”
- Let it run, make sure it is successfully unlocked/patched
- After the unlock is completed the window will disappear automatically
DO NOT FORGET TO RUN THE APPLICATION WITH ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGES. TO DO THAT RIGHT CLICK ON THE INSTALL.SH AND CLICK “RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR”.
Finally Getting Facetime For PC
4.0 Getting Everything Together
Finally, after all these tedious work, its time to install and run MAC OS on your PC and get Facetime For PC. Let’s break it down to the following steps
- Open the VMware workstation player
- Click on “Create a New Virtual Machine”
- Select “Custom9advaned)” configuration and click next
- Select “I will install the operating system later” button and hit next
- Select “Apple Mac OS X” from the list and Mac OS X 10.14 as the version
IF you do not see the Mac os listed as an option under operating systems, go back and make sure you have unlocked the VMware workstation player properly and successfully
- Click on next for all other options with default selected options
- In the final window look for the “Customize Hardware” button. You can click on it and make changes to the number of resources you allocated to the virtual machine
2 Core, at least 4 GB ram, make sure virtualization is enabled by default or enable it if it is required ( you will find out if you need to enabled it when you run the machine later)
- Once everything is done, don’t run the virtual machine just yet
- Click on the VM and click on “Edit virtual machine settings”
- Click on “Add” and select Hard disk to add
- Leave the recommended Virtual disk type and click on next
- “Select the “use and existing virtual disk” option and browse the Mojave virtual machine file that you downloaded earlier
- If it asks, select “Keep existing format”
- Hit ok and now its time to start the virtual machine
- This should start the installer for Mac OS Mojave, complete the installation which is pretty straight forward or watch the video tutorial that I’ve posted along with this guide
- One the installation has completed without any error, you should optimize Mojave for better performance.
- Finally, run the facetime app from the launcher and login to your apple account to connect to Facetime
As soon as you open facetime on the virtual machine, you’ll notice that the camera is not working. There is no need to panic and with a small workaround, you will be able to use webcam cameras.
Just move your mouse to the top of the screen until you see the Vmware workstation’s taskbar and then Click On VM > Removable Devices > “Your Laptop Webcam Name” > Connect.
And then you should see your Webcam running and you should be able to use in Facetime.
So that’s how you can install and use Facetime For PC (Windows 7/8/10). If you’ve come across any issues just let us know in the comments below or send us a message on Facebook.
Hope this guide to installing and running Facetime For PC Helps !